defyne.org Forums Index DVB on the Mac — Forums
Bringing Digital TV to your favourite platform

Main Pages:  Introduction  Drivers  iTele  Mpegitor 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Beginnings of DVDContext

Post new topic   Reply to topic    defyne.org Forums Index -> News and Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FyKnight
Site Admin

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2005 02:17 am    Post subject: Beginnings of DVDContext Reply with quote

Some of you may have noticed that the ultimate algorithm in iTele's Preferences is 'DVDContext'. This refers to the built-in video decoding hardware acceleration API in Mac OS X. The one that uses the GPU for most of the work instead of the CPU. The one that lets you play back a DVD on a 250MHz G3 which would have no hope of decoding it in software.

Unfortunately that API is closed, and all my best efforts at extracting it from Apple over the years have been to no avail. The desire to access this API has in fact been one of the driving factors in my work on digital TV drivers - it is the main reason that I wrote a driver for an American ATSC card - thinking that Apple would care more if it affected them with HDTV in the US.

Anyway, it's been too long now, and I've given up on attempting to exert influence. Instead I've gone and just reverse-engineered the API Very Happy. It made a nice change from reverse-engineering drivers that's for sure Smile, although it's slightly embarassing to have to do it. That's what I've been up to all last weekend and this weekend (and why I haven't been on the forums or answering email much).

It's still in quite early stages, and far from ready to be integrated into iTele or anything else, but it does actually work and display nice video from a DVB recording (or other MPEG2-PS file).

You can read more about it and download it here.

So now that there is finally something to show, before I continue I would like some confident Mac users to download it and give it a whirl with some of their DVB/ATSC recordings. You will have to compile it from source yourself, but it is easy, and instructions are included (following them is the test of 'confident Mac user' Smile). Please post your successes or otherwise in the Developer forum, and note that it may well crash your Mac, so be prepared. Thanks in advance for your help!

I hope this will turn out to be a valuable addition to iTele, and the Mac multimedia community in general.

Enjoy!
MR42HH

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2005 03:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that sounds amazingly good! Let's hope, Apple doesn't ruin your work by changing DVDContext in Tiger!
Can you roughly estimate when we'll be able to enjoy that algo in iTele?
hal

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2005 03:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Unfortunately, I can't get it to compile... I fixed some bugs (the absolute path to libavcodec.a for instance, and the search path to ffmpeg).
Now it's complaining about not knowing PutBitContext, but I even included the file that defines it (common.h). Any hints?
manuvcube

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2005 05:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,
let's continue the discussion here:
http://www.defyne.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=440
manuvcube
FyKnight
Site Admin

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi hal, did you get it to compile? PutBitContext is an internal part of libavcodec and should not be included in the Accellent project. Or are you saying that 'make' in ffmpeg/libavcodec is failing? Anyway, as manu said, this would best be discussed in the Developer forum.
hal

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2005 08:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FyKnight wrote:
Hi hal, did you get it to compile?

No, I'll try again with a fresh copy of ffmpeg.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    defyne.org Forums Index -> News and Announcements All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: